Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Put Yo' Stunna Shades On



Since the birth of the Hyphy movement, Southern California has yet to come up with a creative answer to the popular Nor Cal rap genre. Ghost riding the whip, making that thizz face, and going stupid are only a few examples of the trendy lingo several Bay Area rappers are popularizing through the music.

Off the top of my head, I can think of one kind of rap movement that was highly commercialized by So Cal artists: gangsta rap. I'm not a big fan of it, but I do remember growing up and listening to it on the radio. As far as "shaking them dreads" (violently moving your head so that your dread locks fly free) or "showing your grillz" (flossing those fronts or caps), gangsta rap encouraged no such fashion trends--except maybe a glock, an AK, a gat, or any combination of those.

All in all, take "California Love" for example, when Tupac had no idea there was going to be a separation of state, so to speak. Back then, it was an east coast/west coast rivalry, and Cali was unified more as a whole. That may happen with the hyphy movement, too, as you can see from my So Cal friends joining in the stunna shade fun. Though, I can't help but feel sometimes they may be mocking it more than feeling it.

6 comments:

Zoe said...

Your video is so cute! At first I was just expecting it to be that rap video so it was such a great surprise when you cut to the video and pictures of you and your friends "gettin' hyphy." I have a couple of friends from Northern California and it seems to me that they just enjoy making fun of the "hyphy movement." There are some hilarious videos of people ghost riding but it makes me wonder how many accidents have been caused because of it. As for the word hyphy itself, the Urban Dictionary has a pretty funny and concise definition.

gwillis said...

I loved your video. Being from the East Bay, I see hyphy on a regular basis, or I did when I lived there. My So Cal friends are so fascinated with it too, just as much as they are about me saying "hella". In the spirit of Bay Area, you should watch this Scraper Bike video.

Lauraelena said...

I love your page! You got your video to really go with the theme of your blog and it is so cute! I love that picture of you and your friend with your sunglasses. Have you seen the episode of
Girls Next Door
, where Kendra ghost rides her whip in the opening segment? Too funny...

Your page is cute and so is your video...your friends are pretty funny too!!!!

NattieAnn said...

I'm from central Cali, and I never heard the phrase 'hyphy' until I started working in the Bay Area. I must admit, the Bay Area does have it's own lifestyle and, sometime, vocabulary. Along with hyphy, I have also never heard of 'ghost riding' and such until I moved here. This is all very interesting, but I am more of a country girl at heart. I went to YouTube and typed in stunna shades and look at the video I found. It was so cute I had to share.

slurpster03 said...

Those are some crazy shades...there are some real upstart crazes out of the Bay Area, that just makes us all (hella) unique! (Boo SoCal).

Marie Drennan said...

Good work on the video, Danielle -- it complements your post really nicely and keeps the same fun, conversational tone as well as giving a bit of extra information/insight into your topic. I definitely feel I have a better grasp of some of those terms! : )