Monday, September 17, 2007

"It Never Rains in Southern California"



I would bet that when Tony! Toni! Toné! decided to record this jam, they had Southern California in comparison to Northern California in mind. Otherwise, why even indicate exactly what region of California they wanted to croon about?

OK, OK. Listening to the lyrics a little more closely, the song describes the lover residing in Southern California, and they--whoever they may be--told him that it never rains there. Well, guess what. It does. But compared to the Bay Area, I think it's pretty darn sunny over there.

Take, for example, the picture on the left taken by Brad Perks. Especially since I've lived in the Daly City/Pacifica area for the majority of my stay in the Bay, the fog and I have come to know each other very well. The photo on the right, taken from SoCal WXMan's blog, depicts the So Cal weather that has spoiled me silly.

I don't mean to complain since scarves and pea coats are preferred over tankinis any day. It's just that I can't help but feel gloomy when I think about the times I've needed to dress in layers in the middle of July. To be fair, I'm mostly describing the Peninsula and San Francisco regions, since the farther east and San Jose areas can be reminiscent of home, weather-wise.

Luckily, I'm not the kind of person whose mood is reflected by the weather, which is possibly why I was able to adapt to San Francisco quickly. I know enough, though, to always keep a sweater in the car, to not panic when I can't see 10 feet ahead of my car in the fog, and to leave the shorts at home in So Cal.

5 comments:

Zoe said...

I think it's great that you've been able to adapt to the weather so well! Personally I moved to SF from Missouri, so I've had to adjust to some climate changes too. I found that my North Face jacket has always come in handy, as well as a map of all the gorgeous beaches that we can escape to if the fog gets too depressing. I don't have a car because you really don't need one in a city like San Francisco, so I found that ZipCar is perfect for renting a car cheaply to head somewhere warm!

No-No Spot said...

I feel my mood changes when it gets gray and gloomy for too long here. It's all rather depressing really. And all the bad weather seems to hover right over where I live...nice. But I guess thats San Francisco for me. I was used to Granite Bay weather, then Arizona weather, then I had to change to San Francisco weather, which for the year I first came was unusually sunny and warm, then Japan weather, which has distinct seasons, then Las Vegas weather then San Francisco weather again. I still prefer the sunny and nice weather over the typical SF weather anytime. But my friends and I always like to go on road trips to escape SF every once in awhile, heres our favorite place during the spring/summer time.

Jet said...

Growing up here, I've never really thought of how different it is compared to other places...just how different other places are to here. Though I never thought it was normal. I used to wonder why we never got "normal" seasons. So whenever I go somewhere that's really warm, I think of how nice it is but I wouldn't want to live there. I'd end up getting used to it and it wouldn't be so nice anymore. I think because I grew up here, I appreciate the warm days more. Although, I do like San Diego. I stayed here once. It was very nice.

Somalian Banquet Coordinator said...

I have only traveled to Southern CA a few times, not enough to know of many distinctions between the two. I was wondering, do they say "hella" in SO-CAL as much as the youth of Northern CA tends to? Food for thought. I live in Sonoma County, just about 65 miles north of Tony Bennet's favorite city, and the weather is drastically different. The city can be a treacherous place. I would be interested to know your thoughts on the difference in traffic between the two regions. How have your finances changed. I'd imagine for the worse, as the city is expensive. Tell you what, you don't take left hand turns for granted, as you can never seem to make them.

Marie Drennan said...

Great post! Always nice to establish a post theme with some good music. Your writing style is very engaging -- personal and friendly and clear. Very enjoyable blog. I see from the comments that people can relate to what you're saying!

Good job attributing your photos to their sources, too.

Just a couple of bugs to fix: "of home, weather-wise" (comma and hyphen)